Amazon expands free return policy
Amazon is expanding its free return policy.
- Previously the company’s free return policy only applied to shoes, bedding and apparel.
- Customers could still return most other items within 30 days, but Amazon charged a fee for return shipping unless there was a problem with the item or order.
- Now, free returns will be extended to include electronics, household items, pet supplies, kitchen appliances and more (though there is a weight limit of 50 lbs.).
- Millions of items will now have “at least one free return option.”
- Amazon will cover the cost shipping the item back no matter what the reason, though its standard exclusions will still apply.
- Amazon says the expansion of the program is made possible partially by the growing “box free, label free” way to return items at more than 5,800 physical locations that include select Kohl’s, Whole Foods, Amazon stores and locker locations as well as UPS Stores.
- The initial limits on shoes, bedding and apparel was almost a requirement given that these types of items are difficult to shop for online, but with return policies become more broad at retail and online stores, Amazon may have felt the pressure to expand its rules.
- In addition, Amazon noted that its standard 30 day return policy is expanded for items bought between Nov 1, 2019 and Dec. 31, 2019, which can be returned until Jan. 31, 2020.