Google buys Pointy, a startup that helps SMBs use inventory data in digital marketing
By MixDex Article may include affiliate links
- Pointy offers a low cost device that attaches to point of sale barcode scanners at small and medium sized businesses.
- Whenever a store worker scans an item during checkout, the device gathers product information at the same time.
- This data is used in conjunction with digital marketing platforms to link real time inventory.
- There’s also a dose of machine learning to help measure product purchase frequency and other information.
- Terms of the deal were not disclosed, though Pointy has raised $20 million so far.
- Although not definite plans have been announced, Google could integrate local inventory data in search results.
- It would also be integrated with Google’s advertising products and compete with Amazon in product search.