On March 25, 2019, Apple announced Apple Arcade, a new video gaming and eSports platform that will be available this fall.
- The new platform will be a paid service, this exact pricing has not been announced, but Apple promises no in-game apps or in-game purchases.
- A limited number of games will available at launch, but the platform will be open to allow developers to add games.
- The games will integrate between Apple TV, iPad, iPhone and Mac devices.
- Although at least some of the games listed as being available at launch appear to offer collaboration features, it’s not immediately clear how well multi-player games will be supported or how.
- It’s also not clear if users will be able to share streams of games or if larger scale tournaments via the Apple Arcade platform is planned.
- Apple previously debuted GameCenter in 2010, an app and platform that allowed users to link scores, profiles and other elements of various iOS games — though it did not directly offer its own games.