Apple Pay becomes top contactless payment method — but number two might not be what you think it is
Apple Pay has overtaken Starbucks as the most popular contactless proximity mobile payment platform in America.
- An industry research company called eMarketer has updated a previous May 2018 report that tracks usage across devices revealed the news.
- According to the report, Apple Pay has reached 30.3 million users.
- Starbucks sits at 25.2 million, with Google Pay at 12.1 million and Samsung Pay at 10.8 million.
- eMarketer defines a user as someone over 14 who has completed at least one proximity mobile payment in the past six months, but excludes tablet users.
- Put another way, that’s 47.3% of proximity mobile payment users on Apple Pay, and39.4% use Starbucks.
- It’s worth noting how significant it is that Starbucks’ app, which can only be used to pay at, well, Starbucks, was previously the top payment method.
- Even falling to second means Starbucks is still a major player in the space.