Apple Pay becomes top contactless payment method — but number two might not be what you think it is
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
Apple Pay has overtaken Starbucks as the most popular contactless proximity mobile payment platform in America.
- An industry research company called eMarketer has updated a previous May 2018 report that tracks usage across devices revealed the news.
- According to the report, Apple Pay has reached 30.3 million users.
- Starbucks sits at 25.2 million, with Google Pay at 12.1 million and Samsung Pay at 10.8 million.
- eMarketer defines a user as someone over 14 who has completed at least one proximity mobile payment in the past six months, but excludes tablet users.
- Put another way, that’s 47.3% of proximity mobile payment users on Apple Pay, and39.4% use Starbucks.
- It’s worth noting how significant it is that Starbucks’ app, which can only be used to pay at, well, Starbucks, was previously the top payment method.
- Even falling to second means Starbucks is still a major player in the space.