Chipotle’s attempt to show off you can get free guac (sometimes) backfires
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
As any die hard Chipotle fan knows, the fast casual Mexican chain charges for guacamole on most orders (something those frantic workers behind the assembly line have to remind people of hundreds of times a day).
- Chipotle posted a photo of a man standing outside of one of its restaurants with a cardboard sign reading “Guac should be free.”
- The chain attempted to leverage the photo to point out that guac is free with its vegetarian, non-protein options.
- However, the post backfired spectacularly with over 1,500 comments as of this writing.
- Many of the posters said they’ve been ordering veggie bowls for years and always get charged for guac.
- Others pointed out that Chipotle’s rival, Qdoba, offers guac for free on every order.
- Others took the opportunity to point out how skimpy Chipotle is with the guac — whether they pay for it or not.
- There were also general complaints about how much Chipotle charges for guacamole.
- Other fans questioned if guac is free with sofritas, the chain’s plant protein option, but the chain’s social media team pointed out it doesn’t because that’s still a protein.
- Finally, it’s also wort noting that many fans may have mistaken the post as an announcement that the chain was making guac free with any meal.