Nick Cannon started his previously announced three-day run as fill in host on “The Wendy Williams Show” following the titular host’s extended leave.
- Cannon, unlike the “Hot Talkers” panels that have been used in all of the new episodes produced in 2019, entered through the double doors Williams normally uses.
- He also received a customized intro from the announcer.
- Before delving into the show’s signature “Hot Topics” segment, he offered an extended discussion about a phone call he had with Williams “family unit,” emphasizing that Williams “sounded great” and that the entire family is remaining strong throughout the ordeal.
- This point was emphasized several times.
- In addition, he admonished all of the “negativity” and “gossip” being spread about Williams and her family.
- He then transitioned to “Hot Talks,” sitting in an orange padded bar stool rather than Williams’ signature custom made purple chair.
- Cannon also added his open spin to “Hot Topics” — “Not Topics” — which took at look at perspectives of the recent news that people aren’t — but perhaps should be — paying attention to, including Black History Month.
- For an overview of Williams’ extended absence, read this article.