Has ‘Sesame Street’ been canceled?
By The MixDex Wire Article may include affiliate links
- First, new episodes of the show are only available on HBO for the first nine months after release.
- PBS stations then get access to the episodes and air them based on their local schedule — so, while the episodes have already been available on HBO on “first run” basis, they are new episodes to PBS.
- Each PBS station determines its own schedule, including whether or not to air a program or not, so the time and availability of “Sesame Street” may vary, but the show is still in active production under the terms of the HBO agreement.
- Stations may also air the “new” episodes of the show mixed in with repeats.
- It’s also worth noting that beginning in 2015, new episodes were reduced from 60 minutes to 30 minutes.
- In addition, “Sesame Street” was removed from Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming services, with HBO now holding the exclusive streaming rights to both old and new episodes.