Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek: How long he’s been hosting, retirement, cancer diagnosis, contract and possible replacements
By The MixDex Wire Article may include affiliate links
- Trebek announced in March 2019 that he has been diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
- In November 2018, Trebek signed a contract extension with “Jeopardy!” to remain as its host through 2022.
- As of March 2019, Trebek says he plans to continue his hosting duties during his treatment.
- “Jeopardy!” typically tapes an entire week of shows (five day’s worth) in one day — and films only two days per week, with some hiatuses and breaks worked in to the schedule.
- Reports of possible replacements for Trebek began surfacing before Trebek inked his extension — among them is Brad Rutter, one of the show’s most prolific and highest earning contestants.
- Rutter’s team also won the “All Stars” team tournament the show completed airing in celebration of its 35th anniversary season.