Tamron Hall’s daytime talk show premieres Sept. 9, 2019. Where and when to watch it, however, is a bit of a puzzle.
- Because it’s syndicated, “Tamron Hall” won’t always air on the same network affiliate in each market.
- The show is being produced by Disney, which owns ABC.
- Therefore, in most major U.S. markets, “Tamron Hall” will air on the local station that ABC owns and operates in the metro area.
- This includes WABC in New York, KABC is Los Angeles, WPVI Philadelphia, KGO San Francisco, KTRK Houston, WTVD Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina and KFSN Fresno, California.
- Note that there is a “Chicago exception”; see below for more details.
- In these markets, the show is typically replacing “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire,” which ABC canceled earlier this year.
- Some markets air two episodes of “Millionaire” back to back, so “Tamron Hall” will take over the full hour.
- Other markets may only air one edition of “Millionaire” followed by something else — so the station may drop the other show in favor of “Tamron” or move the other show to another timeslot to make room for her. Or “Tamron” may move to an entirely different time, triggering a series of changes.
Outside of these major markets, where the show will end up is harder to determine.
- ABC has sold the show to a local stations owned by Hearst Television, Cox Media Group, Sinclair Broadcast Group, the E.W. Scripps Co., Meredith Corp., Tribune, Gray or and Nexstar.
- So, if you have a local station that is owned by one of those companies, it will likely carry the show.
- In markets where two or more of these owner operate stations, the show will typically only air on one of the channels, which may be based on who has an open slot.
- For markets that don’t have an ABC O&O or a station owned by one of those groups, the show may be offered to the local ABC affiliate first — but it isn’t required to air it.
- If that station passes, the show can then be picked up by another station in the market, typically based on who’s willing to pay the most for it.
- When “Tamron” will air is largely up to the local stations as well — though Disney is suggesting airing it between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. More details are expected to be announced as the debut date approaches.
- There are also several markets in the U.S. that will not carry “Tamron Hall” at all — though this could change if the show proves to be successful.
You might notice that Chicago is missing from the list of ABC stations in major markets. Chicago, it turns out, is going to be a bit of an exception for “Tamron Hall.”
- In Chicago, ABC O&O WLS was slated to carry the show but has since passed on it, likely because it didn’t have any timeslot for it.
- WLS has often been a bit of an oddball in terms of carrying ABC produced syndicated programming.
- For example, the station didn’t carry “Live with Kelly and Ryan” (in its various names), which is produced by Disney, until 2013.
- Likewise, WLS didn’t carry “Millionaire” until 2018 — and even after that, it’s relegated to 1:35 a.m.
- Part of the reason behind these scheduling oddities was because the station carried the “The Oprah Winfrey Show” at 9 a.m., which is would normally be occupied by “Live with Kelly and Ryan.”
- WGN carried the predecessors to “Live with Kelly and Ryan” until 2013.
- After “Oprah” went off the air, WLS created “Windy City Live” as a local replacement for the show, which took the 9 a.m. slot from 2011 to 2013.
- In 2013, WLS added “Live with Kelly and Ryan” and moved “Windy City Live” to 11 a.m. “Windy City Live” was moved to 1 p.m. in 2016.
When and where is “Tamron” airing in Chicago?
- WCIU, a local independent station that’s known as “The U” announced in February 2019 it would air “Tamron” at 8 p.m.
- This would put it immediately after the newscast WLS produces for WCIU at 7 p.m., creating a sort of “Disney produced block” on the station.
- However, WCIU has since announced it will become a CW affiliate and will move the 7 p.m. newscast to its digital subchannel, currently branded as “The U Too.”
- After the change, “The U Too” will become known as “The U,” with much of the programming on it moving over to make room for the CW’s primetime lineup.
- It’s not immediately clear if “Tamron” will follow the 7 p.m. newscast to the new channel, though it seems likely since CW offers primetime programming at 8 p.m. to its affiliates and they are typically required to carry it.
So, here are some general tips on figuring out when and where “Tamron Hall” might air for you:
- If you live in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Fransisco, Houston, Raleigh or Fresno, “Tamron” will appear on that station, perhaps at the time that “Millionaire” airs now.
- If you live outside of these areas, find out who owns your local station and see if it’s on the list above. If it is, that station will likely air the show. Further, if that station also currently airs “Millionaire,” it may put “Tamron Hall” on at the same time.
- Another clue might be to see what station airs “Millionaire” and there’s a possibility it might be adding “Tamron.”
- However, until stations officially begin announcing they will air the show and at what time, these are just “educated” guesses.
- The show will likely eventually offer a tool on its website to find out where to watch the show based on your ZIP code.