Beware: Disney+ has some compatibility issues with Apple devices
Despite all the excitement around the Disney+ launch, there’s something you might not realize about the service and Apple products.
- According to a compatibility list, the Disney+ app requires iOS or iPadOS 11 or later to work on Apple Touch, iPhone or iPad devices.
- This means the service won’t work on iPads older than the fourth generation or first generation iPad Minis, which don’t support version 11 or later.
- This means you’ll need at least a fifth generation iPad, iPad Mini 2 or iPad Pro to watch.
- For any incompatible device, searching the app store for Disney+ won’t even show the app as being available for download.
- It’s worth noting that, in our tests, accessing disneyplus.com (as opposed to the app) to watch the service on an older iPad via Safari also does not work.
- It’s worth noting that Netflix and YouTube apps both work on at least some of these older devices.
- While it’s not uncommon for content providers to have minimum system requirements, Disney+ is not available on some devices that its competitor Netflix is.
- Apple also no longer officially supports iPads older than fourth generation, but there’s still a fair amount out there still in use.
- This limitation can be frustrating for families looking to let their kids each stream on their own devices given the cost of buying the latest device for one or more kids.
- Disney+ is also available on smart TVs and a variety of other tablet and mobile devices.