Chicago ABC continues dominance in evenings and late news
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
WLS, the ABC O&O in Chicago scored some major wins in February sweeps.
- “ABC 7 Eyewitness News” at 10 p.m. has been at the top of the market’s late news ratings for more than 20 years during the four major sweeps periods Monday through Sunday, according to data provided by the station.
- That number one claim also excludes ratings during the Olympics, which typically boost NBC stations’ late newscasts.
- The station’s 4, 5 and 6 p.m. newscasts completed over 30 years at the top according to February 2019 Nielsen data.
- In addition to total viewers, ABC 7’s newscasts at 4, 5, 6 and 10 p.m. also won in the key adults age 25-54 demo during February sweeps’ Monday through Friday ratings.
- WLS did not release morning or midday news ratings, but independent WGN separately issued a statement showcasing its wins for those time periods.
- WLS also did not release ratings for its 7 p.m. newscast on independent WCIU.