CNN denies layoffs are coming
By MixDex Article may include affiliate links
- The changes are reported to be part of a restructuring of the newly formed WarnerMedia.
- WarnerMedia has already done similar buyouts at HBO and its Turner Broadcasting division.
- The newly formed company is looking to reduce a whopping $127 billion in debt, according to Deadline.
- According to some reports and sources, CNN is looking to cut around 300 positions total.
- That said, only about 100 were cut as a result of voluntary buyouts.
- Meanwhile, CNN’s media correspondent Brian Stelter got a CNN spokesperson on the record saying “No layoffs.”
- However, the statement from CNN PR doesn’t exactly get into specifics.
- It’s also not uncommon for PR departments to deny layoffs — often because they are not aware of them at the time — only to have staff cuts come down the road.
- Other outlets are accusing Stelter of helping CNN “spin” what are essentially layoffs as buyouts.
There's a rumor making the rounds today about big impending layoffs at CNN. A CNN spokeswoman is knocking it down on the record: "No layoffs." There WERE voluntary buyouts throughout the organization, and about 100 people opted for it.
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) May 6, 2019