GOP state senator tells female reporter boys could ‘have a lot of fun’ with her
A Republican lawmaker from Michigan is under fire after inappropriate comments he reportedly made to a female reporter.
- State Sen. Peter Lucido was apparently approached by newspaper reporter Allison Donahue Tuesday, Jan. 14, 2020 following a senate session.
- Lucido then allegedly told her he would speak with her after addressing a group of boys from a Catholic school visiting the Capitol.
- “You’ve heard of De La Salle, right?” Donahue said Lucido told her, referring to the school the boys were visiting from and explaining he attended the institution.
- “You should hang around! You could have a lot of fun with these boys, or they could have a lot of fun with you,” Lucido allegedly said, according to an account Donahue wrote and was published in the Michigan Advance Jan. 15.
- The boys reportedly laughed at the comment, leaving Donahue feeling “objectified and humiliated.”
Donahue later confronted Lucido about the remark, but he allegedly brushed it off.
- He also told Donahue that he had made similar comments in the past to a group of school age girls.
- Lucido first told the Detroit Free Press he didn’t believe he owned Donahue an apology.
- However, late Wednesday morning he issued a public apology to Donahue for what he called a “misunderstanding.”
- The apology also did not specifically mention what he was apologize for.