How Disney leveraged control of Hulu so fast
When it first launched, Hulu was a sort of star-crossed marriage — broadcast networks NBC and News Corp., the parent of Fox, were primary shareholders.
- Later, media giants Disney and Time Warner would become shareholders in the venture.
- However, in a series of deals over the years, Disney is set to take over as majority shareholder of Hulu by 2024.
- Disney already has gained full operational control of Hulu effectively right now.
- Disney also gained an additional 30% chunk of Hulu when it closed on a deal for a slew of 21st Century Fox assets that included the Hulu stake.
- Disney also paid $1.43 billion to AT&T, the new owner of Time Warner’s assets. This was a 9.5% stake in Hulu.
- NBC parent Comcast has also agreed to sell its 33% stake in Hulu to Disney in 2024.