NBC News Studios launched
- The new division will serve as an in-house production unit and will focus on documentary and scripted programming geared toward emerging platforms.
- “Dateline” executive producer Liz Cole is becoming president of the division.
- The goal is for the division to work with partners, including filmmakers, to produce content that would benefit from NBC News’ resources.
- NBC already says a deal with Focus Feature is signed to developer filmmaker driven documentaries.
- The unit is also set to produce scripted content for Jason Blum’s Blumhouse Television based on segments from “Dateline.”
- In addition, the studio will also produce content for NBCU’s streamer Peacock and the upcoming daily production for Quibi.
- NBC also shuttered its “experimental” digital video studio Left Field in October 2019.
NBC refers to its tourist destination in Rockefeller Center that offers tours of the network’s New York studios as “NBC Studios” and “The Shop at NBC Studios,” though it originally used “Experience” branding.