Norah O’Donnell caught by open mic, apparently muttering about sexual misconduct
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
“CBS Evening News” anchor Norah O’Donnell forgot an important rule of broadcasting — always treat every mic as if it’s on.
- O’Donnell was caught on a hot mic during a Tuesday, Aug. 13, 2019 report about sexual harassment accusations against opera star Placido Domingo.
- Correspondent Chip Reid’s package concluded with a fullscreen graphic spelling out the statement from Domingo saying he thought the relationships were consensual.
- However, it appears O’Donnell’s mic was activated a bit early and she could be heard saying “sounds like somebody else here.”
- The broadcast then cut back to Reid, who joined O’Donnell at the anchor desk in Washington, D.C. where she was anchoring from.
- It’s likely that both Reid and O’Donnell’s mics were activated in anticipation of the brief exchange between the pair — but the timing meant O’Donnell’s offhand remark went out over the air.
- While it’s not for certain if O’Donnell was actually referring to sexual harassment, CBS has been the target of multiple sexual misconduct scandals, including ones that ousted CEO Les Moonves.
- O’Donnell’s former “CBS This Morning” co-anchor Charlie Rose was also forced out because of allegations made against him.
- It’s worth noting that, assuming O’Donnell was referencing sexual harassment at CBS, that her sarcastic remark appears to imply that whoever she is referring to is still with the network.
- CBS removed the audio from versions of the story it posted online.
- TV Industry News
- Broadcast Engineering News
- Broadcast Design News
- TV Talk Shows
- TV Syndication
- TV Advertising
- TV News Jobs
- TV Industry Mergers and Acquisitions
- TV Anchors
- Cable News
- Late Night TV
- TV Syndication News
- Broadcast Industry News
- TV News Drone Journalism
- TV News Augmented Reality
- TV Weather Forecasting
- TV News Journalism
- TV News Ethics
- OTT News
- News About NBC
- News About CBS
- News About ABC
- News About CNN
- News About MSNBC
- News About Fox News