Rachel Maddow breaks down on air reading report on ‘tender age’ shelters
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
Just before wrapping her show Tuesday, June 19, 2018, MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow broke down on air reading an AP report on the so-called “tender age” shelters set up for babies and toddlers taken from immigrant parents:
Rachel Maddow chokes up and cries on air as she struggles to deliver news that migrant babies and toddlers have been sent to "tender age" shelters pic.twitter.com/O6crm8cvyR
— Justin Baragona (@justinbaragona) June 20, 2018
- After appearing to read the update to herself, Maddow said “this is incredible.”
- She was attempted to read the report from the AP, but broke down and asked the control room to put up a graphic, but it was apparently not available.
- She then tossed to “The Last Word” host Lawrence O’Donnell in Texas saying, “I’m sorry. I think I’m going to have to hand this off.”
- In the split screen, Maddow could be seen shaking her head and appeared to be eager to leave the set.
- Maddow later apologized on Twitter in a series of tweets where she also reported the story she was attempting to read on air.
- “Ugh, I’m sorry. If nothing else, it is my job to actually be able to speak while I’m on TV. What I was trying to do — when I suddenly couldn’t say/do anything — was read this lede…” she tweeted.
- “Again, I apologize for losing it there for a moment. Not the way I intended that to go, not by a mile,” she wrote in the last of six tweets.
All from this Associated Press story that broke while I was on the air tonight, but which I was unable to read on the air:https://t.co/2VBLTVxvQq
Again, I apologize for losing it there for a moment. Not the way I intended that to go, not by a mile.
— Rachel Maddow MSNBC (@maddow) June 20, 2018
- TV Industry News
- Broadcast Engineering News
- Broadcast Design News
- TV Talk Shows
- TV Syndication
- TV Advertising
- TV News Jobs
- TV Industry Mergers and Acquisitions
- TV Anchors
- Cable News
- Late Night TV
- TV Syndication News
- Broadcast Industry News
- TV News Drone Journalism
- TV News Augmented Reality
- TV Weather Forecasting
- TV News Journalism
- TV News Ethics
- OTT News
- News About NBC
- News About CBS
- News About ABC
- News About CNN
- News About MSNBC
- News About Fox News