Sam Champion rejoins Disney family full time
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
Sam Champion is rejoining the Disney family on a full time basis.
- Champion, who left ABC’s “Good Morning America” in 2013 to host “AMHQ” on the Weather Channel has signed on to be the network’s O&O affiliate in New York City’s new morning and midday weather anchor.
- While at the Weather Channel, which was owned by NBCUniversal for most of the time he was there, Champion also served as managing editor.
- Champion would eventually leave the network in 2016.
- Since then, he has been working for ABC News on a fill-in basis.
- In addition to appearing on WABC’s morning and midday newscasts, Champion is expected to contribute to ABC News.
- It’s not immediately clear if that will involve filling in for Ginger Zee on “GMA,” something he has done in the past.
- The local morning news airs immediately before “GMA” in the New York, like in most markets.
- If Champion does fill in on “GMA,” WABC and ABC would likely to pick a single studio — either the near Lincoln Center studios or “GMA” in Times Square — on those days.
- He could, in theory, still appear on the other broadcast remotely if needed.
- Alternatively, the station and network could arrange for some creative transportation between locations.
- Another option would be to bring in someone else to “fill in” for Champion on WABC either for the entire morning news block or only later segments to give him time to travel to Times Square.
- TV Industry News
- Broadcast Engineering News
- Broadcast Design News
- TV Talk Shows
- TV Syndication
- TV Advertising
- TV News Jobs
- TV Industry Mergers and Acquisitions
- TV Anchors
- Cable News
- Late Night TV
- TV Syndication News
- Broadcast Industry News
- TV News Drone Journalism
- TV News Augmented Reality
- TV Weather Forecasting
- TV News Journalism
- TV News Ethics
- OTT News
- News About NBC
- News About CBS
- News About ABC
- News About CNN
- News About MSNBC
- News About Fox News