See the first ‘The Talk’ open since Julie Chen’s departure
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
Now that Julie Chen is officially out at “The Talk,” the show has undergone some changes — and there are a lot of unknowns about its future.
- On the Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2018 edition of the CBS daytime talker, Chen’s image and name were, not surpsingly, removed from the credits, with creator Sara Gilbert promoted to the first position in the open.
- Chen’s departure means there are only four regular hosts, but CBS has not indicated if it will look for a replacement for her or simply go on with the existing four.
- It’s also possible the show will simply stick with using guest co-hosts, a common approach for not only adding interest and variety to the panel but also a “back door” way to audition potential replacements.
- Chen also held the title of the show’s moderator, and CBS has not made a decision if one of the existing panelists will take over that role (or, potentially, if a new hire might step into that title).
- On Wednesday’s show, Sharon Osborne opened the show and served as de factor moderator.
- Osborne and Gilbert are the only two remaining hosts from the show’s original lineup.
- Wednesday’s edition featured guest co-host Carrie Ann Inaba, who was also guest co-hosting Tuesday when Chen’s on air farewell message aired (she even got a shout out from Chen).
- Thursday, however, Carnie Wilson was the guest co-host and regular co-host Eve lead off the show and served as quasi-moderator.
- In both editions, Osborne and Eve both appeared very upbeat when they kicked off the show — almost as if to try to “ignore” that fact Chen no longer has a seat at the table.
- Before her taped appearance from the “Big Brother” set Tuesday, Chen had no appeared on “The Talk” this season following news, the day before the show was set to debut its new season, that her husband, Leslie Moonves had exited as CEO and chairman of CBS following a slew of sexual assault allegations.
— TVNewsMix (@TVNewsMix) September 18, 2018