Colbert gets early contract extension at CBS
CBS has extended Stephen Colbert’s deal to remain host of “The Late Show” through August 2023.
- Colbert’s original 2015 contract was set to expire in August 2020.
- “I’ve been asked by CBS to host ‘The Late Show’ until 2023, and I have every intention of honoring their subpoena,” Colbert said in a statement.
- Under Colbert, who previously hosted “The Colbert Report” on Comedy Central, the show’s ratings have improved over NBC’s “Tonight.”
- Keeping Colbert in place could be key for the network given its mixed bag of ratings — with its entertainment division delivering mostly positive numbers (though it lost powerhouse “The Big Bang Theory”) and the news division’s lackluster numbers despite high profile talent changes.
- Terms of the contract were not released.