Mike Huckabee compares Rachel Maddow’s salary to what a garbage truck driver makes
Ex-Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee, who hosts a TBN show and contributes to the Fox cable channel that competes with MSNBC, compared Rachael Maddow’s salary to a garage truck driver and comparing her show to “garbage.”
- In a tweet posted April 3, he questioned why Rachel Maddow reportedly makes $7 million a year for “delivering garbage.”
- He then pointed out the average salary of a garage truck driver is, at least according to his sources, $40,000 a year and asked why Maddow gets paid 175 times more than drivers get for “hauling” “garbage” away.
- Huckabee is an outspoken supporter of Donald Trump, while Maddow is critical of him.
- Huckabee’s daughter, Sarah Sanders, is Trump’s White House press secretary.
- In that role, she makes $179,700 in taxpayer funded salary and has had many run-ins with members of the press, including accusations of outright lying or misrepresenting facts.
- Huckabee himself was a host of cable show from 2008 to 2015 of Fox and while his salary was almost certainly not what Maddow, one of MSNBC’s highest rated hosts, makes, he likely earned substantial compensation during that time.
- In his role as a contributor on Fox, he is likely paid a tidy sum as well, as are most individuals with that title on cable and broadcast news.
- According to public records, Huckabee and his wife purchased land in Florida in 2010 for $800,000 with plans to build a $2.2 million home on it.
Just heard MSNBC pays Rachel Maddow $7 mil a year. The average salary for a garbage truck driver is $40,000. Why is delivering garbage worth 175 times more than hauling it away?
— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) April 4, 2019