NBC News makes a big claim for 2018 ratings win
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
NBC News is bragging about a “three-peat” for its four major NBC News produced shows for being number one in the ratings for the third year in a row.
- The data used, according to the fine print on the graphic NBC released, is based on Jan 1, 2018 through Dec. 23, 2018 and notes that one week remained in the broadcast year.
- The claim is also based on each broadcast’s normal timeslot compared to programming at the same time — but not necessarily the show’s “direct” competitor.
- Also excluded from the data are specials, breakouts and repeats.
- “Dateline NBC” is also labeled as a “Friday newsmagazine” — but does not compare it to other newsmagazines, such as “60 Minutes,” that do not air on Friday evening.
- The announcement does not clarify how or if the disappointing ratings of “Megyn Kelly Today,” which, although a part of the “Today” franchise, is differently titled and therefore subject to separate ratings data, affected these numbers.