Shopify announces its own email marketing solution
- Shopify Email, which is only available to select merchants at launch, will rollout widely in 2020.
- The move is part of a growing suite of marketing tools Shopify directly developers and integrates with, as opposed to third party apps.
- The offering promises “highly customizable” templates, as well as the ability to directly import products images, text and links.
- Store owners can apply for early access, which Shopify says will be free.
- When the product officially launches, Shopify email will be a “low cost” add on fee.
The move isn’t surprising at all — talk that Shopify would eventually build its own email marketing solution has been circulating for years.
- As it was originally built, Shopify steered clear of the email marketing business, instead preferring to let third party services integrate with the platform.
- Then there was the high profile spat with leading email marketing company Mailchimp that resulted in that integration being pulled (but then restored) just days before Black Friday in 2018 — and eventually leading to a bitter breakup.
- As the battle between the two companies heated up — which were reportedly (at least officially) centered around privacy concerns — rumblings that Mailchimp was developing an ecommerce platform emerged.
- Though email marketing is a fairly crowded space, Shopify obviously has the advantage of being able to directly integrate with its existing customers, potentially reducing the barrier of having to switch email marketing services.