Brand collision? HGTV vs. IGTV
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
Instagram’s launch of its IGTV service has left some wondering about the similarities between the platform’s name and that of Discovery’s HGTV:
- HGTV, which was originally meant to be short of “Home & Garden Television” launched Dec. 1, 1994.
- The name HGTV and the network’s logo are both registered trademarks.
- Instagram’s IGTV, which is presumably short for “InstaGram Television,” is just one letter off from the HGTV name.
- It’s also worth noting that the first letter of IGTV, “I” is just one letter before “H” in the English alphabet.
- Despite not being an exact match, social media users have already started pointing out the similarities between the two names.
- HGTV has a lineup of popular home improvement and lifestyle shows including “House Hunters” and “Love It Or List It.”
- HGTV, which was spun off from Scripps into Scripps Networks Interactive, was then acquired by Discovery.