ESPN is celebrating 40 years with a slate of special programming
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
As part of its 40th anniversary celebration in early September 2019, ESPN is planning a series of special programs and events.
- “SportsCenter Special: ESPN’s 40,” a collection of 40 testimonials from ESPNers past and present, will be televised Friday, Sept. 6, at 7 p.m. eastern on ESPN2.
- Chris Berman, who has been with ESPN since its start, will count down the top 40 moments in sports since ESPN’s launch.
- Starting with the 7 a.m. “SportsCenter” on Tuesday, Sept. 3, Berman will share 10 moments per day across all episodes of the show, culminating with the top 10 moments on Friday, Sept. 6.
- ESPN’s “E:60” magazine-style show will tell the story of the “lost game” — a softball game that was the network’s first live game broadcast but lost from the network’s archives until recently.
- The special will include a look at footage that hasn’t been seen on air since 1979.
- The “Ultimate SportsCenter Quiz” will launch Tuesday, Sept. 3, on ESPN.com and the ESPN App. Fans will have the opportunity to test their knowledge of the iconic brand and the memorable “This is SportsCenter” commercials.
- ESPN has added archival clips to its YouTube channel that feature excerpts from debuts of classic ESPN shows and events including “SportsCenter,” “First Take,” “College GameDay,” “Monday Night Football” and WNBA along with other vintage footage and “This is SportsCenter” commercials.
- ESPN commentators will celebrate the 40th anniversary and share anecdotes at 9 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 6, during a live 30-minute, interactive, stream on Twitter, ESPN.com, the ESPN App and Facebook.
- More than 30 interviews and clips from ESPN’s 40 are offered on ESPN.com, the ESPN App and most connected devices.