Gayle King throws her colleagues under the bus
By MixDex Article may include affiliate links
At the end of Monday, May 6, 2019’s announcement of a major talent overhaul at “CBS This Morning” and “CBS Evening News,” Gayle King went off script and criticized her coworkers for spreading negative rumors.
- “You know, we’ve had a lot of bad press coming from inside the building, which I think is very disturbing to me, because I think most people that work here support, respect, admire each other, cheer each other on. Even going to Washington was Susan Zirinsky’s idea, not yours — but I think it will make everything better and different. So I am cheering you on and, in the words of Grace Tracy, your daughter, we all want to crush it like a popsicle,” King said in what she admitted was an off-the-cuff comment.
- The comment came during the opening minutes of Monday’s “CBS This Morning.”
- CBS had apparently planned to have its talent stick to its prepared comments and talking points on the matter, but not only did King ad lib but she also ended up criticizing her own coworkers.
- Highly accurate leaks of the specifics of the changes coming to CBS’s anchor desks were leaked out over the past months.
- King, meanwhile, reportedly inked a deal doubling her salary to $11 million a year.
- Staffers inside of CBS are on edge with the impending move of “CBS Evening News” to Washington, D.C.
- Zirinsky has said that the staff will be “split” between NYC and D.C., but nothing has been announced or if anyone will lose their jobs.