Golf Channel turning 25 this Friday
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
- The network launched Jan. 17, 1995.
- Founded by Joseph E. Gibbs and legendary golfer Arnold Palmer, the network was among the first of subscription networks to cover a single sport.
- The network was originally a pay channel requiring a separate fee but was eventually migrated to a basic tier offering.
- Comcast bought a majority stake in the channel in 2000, eventually becoming the sole owner by 2003.
- Golf coverage on NBC would eventually become branded as “Golf Channel on NBC” in February 2011.