Fox News‘ “Tucker Carlson Tonight” aired a banner Jan. 2, 2018, containing an offensive racial reference to Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
- During a discussion about Warren announcing an exploratory committee to run for president in 2020 with Independent Women’s Voice president Tammy Bruce, the on-screen banner read “Pocahontas 2020?”
- Referring to Warren as “Pocahontas” is echoed by Donald Trump, who uses the name to mock her purported Native American ancestry.
- Warren has released the results of DNA testing that shows she likely is descended from Native Americans.
- “Pocahontas” is, of course, a reference to the Native American woman whose life was dramatized in a Disney animation film by the same name — though the film purportedly gets much of the story wrong.
- Carlson’s show has been under fire lately — and lost several key advertisers — after offensive comments he made about immigration.