WJXT, an independent station in Jacksonville, Florida, started teasing a “big station announcement” on July 8, 2019 that turned out to be a bit of a dud when it was revealed July 10.
- The station’s general manager, Bob Ellis, tweeted about something “big” coming — and said it would be announced at noon on July 10.
- The tweet gathered some guesses, ranging from the station becoming a network affiliate to a purchase by Sinclair Broadcast Group.
- However, it turns out the actual announcement was that the station would air three high school football games.
- Named the Bold City Showcase, the one day event will include live coverage of three local high school football games.
- While WJXT’s move is certainly of interest to the local community and its mission of covering local events (the station brands as “The Local Station”), it seems a bit anti-climatic, especially given some of the guesses from viewers.
- It’s also worth noting that part of maintaining a valid FCC license for television broadcasting, stations are typically asked to demonstrate local coverage and public service.
- The announcement itself was covered on the station’s noon newscast, but not as the top story.