Man who climbed TV tower in Orlando is down safely
A man who climbed up a 400-foot TV transmitter tower in Orlando has made it back to the ground safely.
- Police first arrived at the studios of WKMG around 11 a.m. local time.
- At around 3:45 p.m., the man began to descend after officials spent much of the day trying to communicate with him to come down to safety.
- After he reached the ground, he was escorted into a waiting ambulance around 7:30 p.m.
- At one point, firefighters began climbing the tower with safety gear, which only caused the man to climb higher.
- It’s not immediately known why the man climbed the tower or his identity.
- Earlier reports indicated that the police had identified the man as having a history of mental illness.
- Station employees were asked to remain inside, while access to the facility was limited.
- WKMG also made the decision to not live stream the event given its unpredictability.