Update: Shopify and Mailchimp’s integration is officially being discontinued.
Shopify’s decision to pull the Mailchimp for Shopify app from its official app store just days before the busiest shopping season of the year has many scratching their heads.
- Mailchimp’s public relations team put the blame on Shopify: “Unfortunately, Shopify has removed the Mailchimp for Shopify integration from their marketplace, making it unavailable for new downloads. We’re disappointed that Shopify would take this action during the holiday season — the busiest time of year for online sellers,” wrote Mailchimp in a statement.
- Sources inside Shopify say the changes is due to a conflict between the two companies.
- Other sources indicate that an announcement by Mailchimp that it had partnered with Square to create landing pages that let users buy single products triggered the riff.
- Shopify did not respond to request for comment.
- Users who installed and set up the Mailchimp for Shopify app before Nov. 16, will continue to be able to use its features.
- However, any users launching email marketing after that point will not be able to seamlessly integrate with Mailchimp.