‘ABC World News Tonight’ hits key ratings milestone
By MixDex Article may include affiliate links
- The newscast, which has led in total viewers for three seasons also surpassed “NBC Nightly News” in the key adult 25-54 demo for both the last week of February and for the entire month’s ratings period.
- This was the first time in 11 years the network surpassed “NBC Nightly News” in that key figure.
- Last week, during the network’s coverage of Donald Trump’s North Korean summit in Hanoi, ABC racked up 9.356 million total viewers. Lester Holt was second with 8.51 million and “CBS Evening News” was last with 6.34.
- ABC also beat NBC in the demo by a slight edge last week — 1.972 million versus 1.928.
- According to a Forbes report, ABC believes the strategy of having Muir on the ground from hotspots in the news has helped lead to the ratings boosts.
- However, the report failed to note that all three networks anchored their entire newscasts from Vietnam Feb. 26-28.
- ABC did, however, have Muir anchor the entire broadcast from South Korea Feb. 25, while NBC and CBS featured “split” editions with their Lester Holt and Jeff Glor only appearing from Vietnam for select segments.