BBC says its presenter broke rules when responding to Trump’s ‘go back’ comment
By MixDex Article may include affiliate links
- Munchetty was responding to Donald Trump’s infamous comments telling Democratic Congresswomen to “go back” where they came from.
- “Every time I have been told as a woman of color to go home, to back to where I came from, that was embedded in racism. Now I’m not accusing anyone of anything here, but you know what certain phrases mean,” Munchetty said on air.
- Trump was taking aim at Reps. Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib.
- Munchetty continued saying she was “furious.”
- “While Ms. Munchetty was entitled to give a personal response to the phrase ‘go back to your own country’ as it was rooted in her own experience, overall her comments went beyond what the guidelines allow for,” the full BBC statement read.
- Meanwhile, BBC viewers and talent are voicing support for Munchetty.
- No actions, if any, against Munchetty have been announced.