NBC and Sky created the ‘largest news operation in the world’ — so what’s next?
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
- “The combination of Sky News and NBC News makes us the largest news operation in the world,” said NBC News president Noah Oppenheim in a panel at SXSW 2019.
- He stopped short of calling it an “integration,” however.
- “There are conversations about cooperation, including bureaus and editorial — for example working together on Brexit in the UK, and the Trump administration in the U.S.,” he said.
- Despite Disney acquiring many of 21st Century Fox’s assets, Comcast ultimately won the bidding for Sky and Sky News.
- The move bolsters Comcast’s presence in Europe, where another major venture, EuroNews, has launched new programming and expanded its newsgathering efforts.