NBC announces election night coverage plans
By The MixDex Team Article may include affiliate links
NBC News will deliver extended coverage and analysis of election night 2020 anchored live from the network’s world headquarters in New York City with more than 100 anchors, correspondents, reporters and contributors bringing viewers the latest from across the country Nov. 3, 2020.
The network is planning to transform Studio 1A, normally home of “Today,” into its election headquarters, being able to take advantage of the 40 foot curved video wall in the space.
For Super Tuesday coverage earlier this year, the network used the old home of “Megyn Kelly Today” in Studio 6A, but that has since been modified for “The Tonight Show.” Coverage of major political conventions and debates all shifted to 1A since then, including with Holt anchoring “Nightly” from the space.
NBC News also plans to have “Today” co-anchor and chief legal correspondent Savannah Guthrie, “Meet the Press” moderator and political director Chuck Todd alongside chief foreign affairs correspondent and senior Washington correspondent Andrea Mitchell in Studio 1A.
This team will be on duty until at least 4 a.m. the next day, with Kate Snow joining at 2 a.m.
Over on MSNBC, the network will offer all day long coverage mixed into to its normal schedule until 6 p.m. eastern when Rachel Maddow, Brian Williams, Nicholle Wallace and Joy Reid will lead the network’s coverage in primetime.
Steve Kornacki will be in place at “the big board” all night.
The rest of the NBCU team will include:
More than 100 NBC News anchors, correspondents, reporters, Road Warriors, contributors and embeds will contribute to NBC News, MSNBC and NBC News Digital’s election coverage with dozens dispatched at polling centers, campaign headquarters, and battleground states throughout the country.
- Kristen Welker, Mike Memoli, Ali Vitali and Adam Edelman at the Biden campaign headquarters; Hallie Jackson, Monica Alba and Shannon Pettypiece at the Trump campaign headquarters; Peter Alexander with the latest on President Trump; and Carol Lee from the White House.
- Ellison Barber, Gabe Gutierrez, Alicia Menendez and Kerry Sanders throughout Florida; Shaquille Brewster and Kevin Tibbles in Wisconsin; Vaughn Hillyard and Gadi Schwartz in Arizona; Dasha Burns, Heidi Przybyla and Steve Patterson in Michigan; Chris Jansing, Rehema Ellis, Ali Velshi and Maura Barrett throughout Pennsylvania; Morgan Radford, Leigh Ann Caldwell and Trymaine Lee in North Carolina; Blayne Alexander and Priscilla Thompson in Georgia; Garrett Haake and Morgan Chesky in Texas; Geoff Bennett in Virginia; Kelly O’Donnell and Josh Lederman in Ohio; Jacob Soboroff, Jacob Ward and Jo Ling Kent in California; and Cal Perry in Minnesota.
- Cynthia McFadden, Tom Costello, Pete Williams, Ari Melber and Jacob Ward reporting for Vote Watch; Stephanie Ruhle with the latest on the economy; Dr. John Torres with the latest on the coronavirus; Kasie Hunt covering House and Senate races; and Richard Engel with a look at the global impact of election results.
- NBC News Digital reporters and analysts will contribute to the live blog with minute-by-minute updates, election results, reactions from voters in key states and reporting from campaign headquarters, including Alex Seitz-Wald, Sahil Kapur, Jane C. Timm, Allan Smith, Suzy Khimm, Dartunorro Clark, Lauren Egan, Rebecca Shabad, Daniella Silva and David K. Li, and analysis from Jonathan Allen.
- For NBC News Digital, regional reporters Anita Hassan will be in Nevada; Erin Einhorn in Michigan; Deon Hampton in Ohio; Mike Hixenbaugh and Suzanne Gamboa in Texas; Bracey Harris in Mississippi; Tyler Kingkade and Alicia Lozano in Los Angeles; and Carmen Sesin in Florida.
- NBC News and MSNBC contributors and political analysts will join the coverage offering real-time reporting and expert analysis, including former U.S. Senator (D-Mo.) and NBC News and MSNBC political analyst Claire McCaskill, politics editor at The Root and MSNBC political contributor Jason Johnson, former Obama Campaign Manager and NBC News and MSNBC political analyst David Plouffe, former White House Press Secretary and NBC News and MSNBC political analyst Robert Gibbs, host of Politics Nation and president of the National Action Network Rev. Al Sharpton, Voto Latino president and NBC News and MSNBC political analyst María Teresa Kumar, former Clinton Campaign Deputy Director of Hispanic Outreach and MSNBC contributor Paola Ramos, former U.S. Representative and NBC News political analyst Carlos Curbelo (R-Fla.), Republican political consultant and NBC News analyst Mike Murphy, host of The Hugh Hewitt Show and NBC News contributor Hugh Hewitt, editor of the National Review and NBC News political analyst Rich Lowry, Washington Post columnist and NBC News contributor George Will, Washington Post columnist and NBC News political analyst Eugene Robinson, founder and editor-at-large of The Bulwark and MSNBC contributor Charlie Sykes, former U.S. Representative and MSNBC contributor David Jolly, James S. McDonnell Distinguished University Professor at Princeton University and NBC News contributor Eddie Glaude. Plus, surrogates from both the Biden and Trump campaigns will contribute throughout the day’s coverage.