About 150 employees of NBC News’ digital division have voted to form a union.
- After a 90-40 vote, the results show that the majority are in favor of unionizing under NewsGuild.
- NewsGuild also represents editorial employees at BuzzFeed News, The Daily Beast and The New York Times.
- The union will mostly cover editorial focused employees who work on NBCNews.com, Today.com, “Stay Tuned,” MSNBC.com and the online streaming network NBC News Now.
- With the vote complete, the union and NBC management will need to negotiate a contract.
- The union will not represent other NBC News employees, such as both editorial staffers who only work on broadcast and cable shows.
- Many of the network’s production staff are under a separate union.