NBC, Sky announce global news service
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
- Named NBC Sky World News, the service will headed by Deborah Turness, president of NBC News International.
- NBC said it will stream the service on its upcoming Peacock service in the U.S. as well as other broadband distribution, but offered no further details.
- Comcast paid $39 billion for control of European satellite provider Sky in 2018.
- Sky, like NBC, already runs its own news division and offers 24 hour news options.
- The move shows NBC News is aiming to reach a global audience as these markets become key to growth in a crowded media market.
- As part of the announcement, NBC said it will hire additional people to work exclusively for the service, but will also draw on the resources of both NBC News and Sky News.
- CNN already offers an international version of its channel, while British broadcaster BBC produces a variety of services for different countries and languages.
- NBC already owns a portion of Euronews, which produces newscast in multiple languages to countries in Europe, Africa and Oceania.