Savannah Guthrie undergoing eye surgery, will be off ‘Today’
- Guthrie was injured by a toy before Thanksgiving and missed two days on the show because of the accident.
- She did, however, host NBC’s annual telecast of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and continued to appear on the show after that, updating viewers on her condition.
- Laser treatments failed to correct the damage to her eye, so doctors decided to operate instead.
- It’s not clear what type of retinal detachment surgery Guthrie underwent, but some doctors say recovery can require patients to remain face down at all times for up to three weeks.
It’s been a wild ride for “Today” anchors being in and out this year.
- Hoda Kotb left for a surprise maternity leave in April 2019 after adopting a baby girl, her second. She returned Sept. 3.
- After being named as the new co-anchor on the show’s fourth hour, Jenna Bush Hager left for maternity leave as well Aug. 2. She returned Nov. 11.
- Al Roker was also out for a bit this fall for hip surgery.
- Guthrie also isn’t the first NBC personality to suffer a high profile eye issue — former sportscaster Bob Costas developed an eye infection during the 2018 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, which eventually caused him to miss broadcasts.