YouTube TV adds Discovery networks, hikes price
By MixDex Article may include affiliate links
YouTube TV is filling in another big gap in its offering by adding a suite of Discovery Network channels — but it comes at a cost.
- The new plan will include Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel and MotorTrend.
- These channels are available now for most users.
- The service will also add OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network, “later this year.”
- In addition, Epix is joining the list of add-on, a la carte priced channels available through the service.
- In addition, the service is also raising the price for all members — to a $49.99 a month ($54.99 for members who subscribe via Apple).
- This price hike is affecting all new signups effectively immediately and will apply to existing members after May 13.
- A previous price hike did not affect existing subscribers.
- With the update, YouTube TV now comes with a minimum of 70 channels.
- 90% of markets include the local ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox affiliates, while three of the four network affiliate stations are available in the rest of its markets.
- The service still includes what Google calls “unlimited DVR” — but there are still some notable limitations to the feature.