Despite a record breaking 12 candidates appearing on stage at once, CNN’s coverage of the Oct. 15, 2019 Democratic Presidential Debate slipped to the smallest TV audience yet.
- According to initial data, 8.34 million people watched the debate, 2.38 million in the adults 25-54 demo.
- 9.2 million streaming starts were recorded between Facebook and the combined digital platforms of CNN and The New York Times, the co-host of the event.
- The debate went up against Game 4 of the National League Championship MLB game between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Washington Nationals.
- The TV viewership was similar to CNN’s previous debate coverage, but has lagged behind ABC and NBC’s coverage, though the latter two are not cable networks.
- NBC owned MSNBC and The Washington Post will host the fifth debate Nov. 20, which would provide a more accurate comparison to the Oct. 15 event.