How do I ‘rescan’ for new TV frequencies?
U.S. television viewers in select markets are starting to see ads alerting them that they need to “plan to rescan.”
- Rescanning is required in a region-by-region basis due to changes in how broadcast signals are transmitted (you can read a simplified explanation of this here).
- To rescan, you will generally need your remote control. Look under the settings and look for a “scan” or “autotune” feature.
- Once the rescan starts, leave your TV alone for a bit until you see a confirmation message that it has been done successfully.
- There’s some more detailed instructions and manufacturer specific instructions here.
- Note that you need to wait until after 2 a.m. on the designated date in your region to rescan, otherwise you’ll just be scanning the “old” frequencies.