How do I ‘rescan’ for new TV frequencies?
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
U.S. television viewers in select markets are starting to see ads alerting them that they need to “plan to rescan.”
- Rescanning is required in a region-by-region basis due to changes in how broadcast signals are transmitted (you can read a simplified explanation of this here).
- To rescan, you will generally need your remote control. Look under the settings and look for a “scan” or “autotune” feature.
- Once the rescan starts, leave your TV alone for a bit until you see a confirmation message that it has been done successfully.
- There’s some more detailed instructions and manufacturer specific instructions here.
- Note that you need to wait until after 2 a.m. on the designated date in your region to rescan, otherwise you’ll just be scanning the “old” frequencies.