Oprah announces first book club pick under Apple TV+ partnership
After inking a deal with Apple to bring back her beloved book club, Oprah Winfrey has announced her first pick.
- “The Water Dancer” by Ta-Nehisi Coates is, quite naturally, available on Apple Books as an e-book.
- Winfrey made her announcement on “CBS This Morning,” the show her friend Gayle King hosts.
- Oprah’s book club first debuted on her talk show in 1996 and ended under that format in 2011.
- Her picks almost always became overnight bestsellers — and often brought attention to little known authors.
- Winfrey later relaunched the club in partnership with OWN and her “O” Magazine.
- The latest incarnation, however, includes a tie in with Apple’s Books app as well as a show on Apple TV+.
- Winfrey will interview author Coates for Apple TV+ Nov. 1.
The book tells the story of a young man born into bondage on a plantation, who is gifted with a mysterious power.
"It is one of the best books I've ever read." — Oprah pic.twitter.com/J8HnR5GH3c
— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) September 23, 2019