Watch Julie Chen’s tearful goodbye to ‘The Talk’
By Matt Collins Article may include affiliate links
Although news of her departure from “The Talk” came late Monday, Sept. 17, 2018, Julie Chen made one final appearance on the show Tuesday.
- Her photo and name remained in the show’s opening sequence.
- At the top of the show, co-host Eve announced that viewers would hear from Chen before the end of the hour.
- Saving the statement until the last block, Eve tossed to a taped message from Chen, recorded on the set of “Big Brother.”
- Her statement was a bit stiff, perhaps at least partially due to her stilted delivery style that earned her the nickname “Chenbot” among “Big Brother” fans.
- In the statement, she confirmed her departure from the “The Talk” and thanked her co-hosts, crew and viewers, tearing up briefly.
- Sheryl Underwood, Eve and guest co-host Carrie Ann Inaba all got personalized thank yous, though Sara Gilbert, who created the show, and Sharon Osborne, were lumped together.
- Gilbert, Chen and Osborne are the three remaining original co-hosts of the show.
- After the statement, the show cut briefly back to the studio where Gilbert thanked Chen as cameras cut to tearful shots of Inaba and Underwood.
- Gilbert closed the show without its trademark “Remember, it’s always the right time to have The Talk!” sign off.
- In the wide shot used as credits rolled, Osborne could be seen staring down at the desk.
- Chen will remain host of “Big Brother,” though she did not mention that specifically in her taped statement.