Why did Disney’s ‘Captain Marvel’ commercial include an NBC logo?
By The MixDex Wire Article may include affiliate links
- The spots start with a large, full color rendition of the NBC peacock with a slight “ethereal burst” effect behind it before launching into a more traditional movie trailer.
- The trailer itself includes similar glowing effects.
- There’s not a clear indication as to why the NBC logo is included, other than to help explain
- It’s worth noting that Disney, which owns ABC, owns the Marvel brand.
- Of course, it’s not uncommon for studios such as Disney (or others, including NBC’s Universal) to advertise films on competing networks — since they are often trying to target a specific demographic or the widest audience possible.
- The inclusion of the NBC logo at the beginning could be at a sort of alternative “native advertising” effort — to make the spot feel more like part of NBC programming.
- NBC, Marvel and Disney did not respond to requests for comment.