HBO says its yet to be launched streaming service, HBO Max, will be profitable by 2025.
- At an event Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2019, company AT&T COO John Stankey said it is working with current HBO subscribers access to the service instead of the monthly fee when it launches.
- The company has set a goal of getting 50 million subscribers by 2025.
- Currently there are about 34 million subscribers to HBO.
- Meanwhile, the 2022 goal is 41 million, just 7 million more than it would get at launch assuming all 34 million current subscribers get memberships.
- Most analysts say that’s a low goal for the service given the existing subscriber figure.
- Just like any other streamer, AT&T will face the challenge of luring subscribers to HBO Max with its existing content plus original series.